6.12.11

Yesterday I joined the IUDiva-hood


After more than 10 years of hating the pill, the patch and the ring (although the ring was my favorite of the 3) I finally did some research and decided to go with an IUD. My Options were The Flexi-T 300, or the seemingly more popular Merina.


The Flexi-T 300 it a copper IUD that contains no hormones costing 80$. It can make periods slightly longer, and have heavier cramps
The Merina is a hormonal IUD costing about 380$. It can make periods lighter to non-existant
They both last about 5 years.


I chose the Flexi-T 300 because I think a non hormonal approach to birth control is the right option for me. I found that on other hormonal methods, it squashed my sex drive, enhanced mood swings, and can possibly be a reason for the weight gain I have had over the last few years. I made this decision knowing that my period may become heavier although right now it's a 3 day weekend at the longest, so an extra day isn't horrible.


I had my first appointment to discuss with an RN, and the Doctor who would be doing the insertion. We discussed what would happen, and any medical history that they should know about.


I read some stories online to prepare myself. I am very nervous at the thought of any medical work.
I had myself pretty worked up about the though of the pain, and some blood... But it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.
I was prescribed Misoprostol to soften my cervix, making it easier to open. I took 2x200 mg pills at 5am on the day of my appointment. The appointment was at 2pm. It caused lots of cramps, but nothing out of the normal from a regular period.
You lie on the table with your feet in the stirrups, just like a pap. The Dr inserted the speculum and cleaned my uterus. There was a grabby instrument that I think is called a tenaculum. It is used to keep your cervix still. That was the most painful part of the whole procedure, but over all very manageable. The Dr then measured the depth of my uterus, then used that measurement to insert the IUD. She removed the tenaculum, cleaned again, and removed the speculum. All done! The whole thing too about 15-20 minutes, but would have been much shorter had I not been so nervous, the Doctor had to talk me through the whole thing :P
I laid down for a few, then sat up for a few, got dressed and was done.
When we got home I curled up on the couch and slept for about 4 hours. The only side effects I've had are some cramps afterwards on the day of (yesterday) and very very light cramps today.


I think this a great step in my life - I can't wait to see if it helps with my mood, and the fact that i cannot lose weight no matter how hard I try. I'll keep you posted on any side effects that come up in the future.


These are some of the stories I read before heading in:
http://iud-divas.livejournal.com/1770035.html
http://darklady-produc.livejournal.com/52881.html?view=434577#t434577